Ancient Scandinavian Alphabet
In old norse the word rune means letter text or inscription.
Ancient scandinavian alphabet. The orthography of the old norse language was diverse being written in both runic and latin alphabets with many spelling conventions variant letterforms and unique letters and signs. Full tables of the elder futhark and younger futhark are available below this article. Younger futhark was a runic script used to write old norse and was the main alphabet in norway sweden and denmark throughout the viking age but was largely though not completely replaced by the latin alphabet by about 1200 as a result of the conversion of most of scandinavia to christianity.
Runes are the letters in a set of related alphabets known as runic alphabets which were used to write various germanic languages before the adoption of the latin alphabet and for specialised purposes thereafter. Runic alphabet origin little is known about the origins of the runic alphabet which is traditionally known as after the first six letters. This article is brought to you by sons of vikings an online store with hundreds of viking related items including jewelry drinking horns shirts home decor and more.
In modern times scholars established a standardized spelling for the language. In norse lore the god odin impaled his heart with his own spear and hung on the world tree yggdrasil. F u þ a r and k.
- Scandinavian Curtains
- Scandinavian Crime Authors
- Scandinavian Defence Chess
- Scandinavian Defense Trap
- Scandinavian Days
- Scandinavian Cruise
- Scandinavian Cultural Center
- Scandinavian Danish Design Furniture
- Scandinavian Cross Stitch Patterns Free
- Scandinavian Cruisers
- Scandinavian Crib
- Scandinavian Decorations
- Scandinavian Cruise From Uk
- Scandinavian Custom Knives
- Scandinavian Country Traditional Scandinavian Interior Design
- Scandinavian Decorating Ideas
- Scandinavian Culture Food
- Scandinavian Definition
- Scandinavian Dancing
- Scandinavian Cross Stitch Kits